Re: gnus starting with an error message - very strange

From: Emil Vatai
Subject: Re: gnus starting with an error message - very strange
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2017 11:33:57 -0700 (PDT)

Just to write down exactly what is happening:
$ emacs -Q
M-x gnus
minibuffer says:

  nntp (news) open error: ‘>>> (error news/nntp Name or service not known)’.
  Continue? (y or n)

I press y and the *Group* buffer (that's the right name, right?) appears, with
following long error message in the minibuffer:

Warning: Opening nntp server on news...failed: >>> (error news/nntp Name or
service not known); Server nntp+news previously determined to be down; not
retrying; Opening nntp server on news...failed: >>> (error news/nntp Name or
service not known); Server nntp+news previously determined to be down; not
retrying

I hit ^ and move the pointer to {nttp:news} (denied) and press O
the cursor goes to the next line (minibuffer empty).