Re: gnus starting with an error message - very strange

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: gnus starting with an error message - very strange
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2017 23:39:13 +0200

emil.vatai@gmail.com writes:

> The error message is "Warning: Opening nntp server on news...failed:
> previously determined to be down; not retrying;"

What is the value of the variables gnus-select-method and
gnus-secondary-select-methods?

The default value of the former is (nntp "news") - which sounds like
what you have. This makes Gnus try to contact an nntp server called
"news" when started.

(Maybe that old default ought to be changed in this day and age...)

Do you use any news servers? If so, what are they called?

Does the hostname "news" resolve on one machine and not on the other?

I always tend to set gnus-select-method to '(nnnil), and then I have all
my servers defined in gnus-secondary-select-methods.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Nightmares in the daytime                                   Adam Sjøgren
  When everything is as it seems"                        asjo@koldfront.dk