Re: gnus starting with an error message - very strange

From: Emil Vatai
Subject: Re: gnus starting with an error message - very strange
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 01:29:09 -0700 (PDT)

BINGO! or DISCO! (or EUREKA!)

Thank you Adam! I think you found the problem!

> Does the hostname "news" resolve on one machine and not on the other?

This was the key.  The good machine was on the university network, and they
probably have a host called news and it does resolve there!  The other two
computers are on a home network with no host corresponding to news.

> What is the value of the variables gnus-select-method and
> gnus-secondary-select-methods?

gnus-select method was "news" and secondary was nil (when starting with emacs
-Q).

> Do you use any news servers? If so, what are they called?
>
> I always tend to set gnus-select-method to '(nnnil), and then I have all
> my servers defined in gnus-secondary-select-methods.

I just started using gnus, I want to use it for email (not sure if it is a good
idea, the manual says it will be awesome - if I get the hang of it).  In my
case I guess I should also set gnus-select-method to '(nnnil) right and set the
mail servers in the secondary, right?

Thank you again! This was very frustrating and was bugging me very much!

Best regards,
Emil