japitools-list

[Japi] Re: [Fwd: Re: Interesting discoveries playing around with japitoo

From: Chris Gray
Subject: [Japi] Re: [Fwd: Re: Interesting discoveries playing around with japitools]
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 13:03:10 +0100

On Thursday 09 November 2006 11:20, David Gilbert wrote:

> Why don't we be honest and just admit that there is no goodwill between
> the projects?  It was there, briefly, but now it is gone.  There's no
> collaboration, there's no cooperation...just two separate projects
> implementing the same API.  It is the way it is, and the world is moving
> on...but let's stop pretending.

I thinks there's quite a bit of goodwill at the individual developer level,
but this doesn't translate easily into collaboration. If a developer already
contributing to one project would want to make a particular contribution
available to both, she needs to not only dual-license her work but to get
clearance from the other project to contribute - that's quite a lot of work
already. And then she has to track acceptance or otherwise of the
contribution and subsequent bug reports on both lists, which is also extra
work. One could hardly blame her for sticking with the project she knows.

Both FSF and ASF tend to generate strong developer loyalty (which is a Good
Thing in each case), but that doesn't necessarily mean the world is divided
into two opposing camps.

Peace,

Chris

address@hidden                             +32 3 216 0369

Note: our official registered address has changed from
Paleisstraat 119 to Koningstraat 21, 2000 Antwerpen. The
operational address Bredestraat 4 remains valid, as do
all telephone and fax numbers (and the VAT reg. number).