jessie-discuss

Re: [Jessie-discuss] 1.4 support? ("1.4 not enabled")

From: Martin Egholm Nielsen
Subject: Re: [Jessie-discuss] 1.4 support? ("1.4 not enabled")
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:13:29 +0200

Martin> So, my question: Should one avoid using Jessie with Suns Java
Martin> 1.4, and do you know whether the new GCJ 4.0 has been
Martin> "designed" to avoid these 1.4 methods?
I started developing Jessie so it could run on Sun's 1.2-1.4
runtimes, as well as on Classpath-derived ones. At the time, there
was a divergence between Classpath and Java 1.4 in the Socket class
(I don't know if this is still the case)
Martin> It is - that is what I saw today. Scanning Socket.java from
Martin> GCJ HEAD and comparing to Sun's.
I should update Jessie to reflect this, and make a new release that
targets these newer releases.
--- 8< ---
Yeah, Classpath did not have those methods at all at the time,
meaning that Jessie wouldn't even compile with a free environment. I
think that all of this was prior to the release of GCC 3.4, and I
always wanted to ensure that it worked with GCJ.

I removed all the comments regarding "unsupported 1.4" in SSLSocket (as you suggested), and it works with Suns 1.4 (as it should) - so that's good. Further, I tried compiling with GCJ 3.4.3 - no problems. I guess these issues has been fixed. I'll return with a more concrete runtime status when I get to it :-)

Martin> However, looking at these options made me wonder: 1) What are
Martin> the jaxp stuff for - and what will I miss if disabling (going
Martin> embedded)? My first guess was for storing sessions as XML, but
Martin> otherwise?
JAXP is used for storing session data, and nothing else.
Super - I wont!

Thanks,
 Martin