koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Re: A Win32 circulation client (beginning stages)

From: Ambrose Li
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Re: A Win32 circulation client (beginning stages)
Date: Sat Jan 18 22:35:05 2003

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 05:16:57PM +1300, Patrick Quinn-Graham
wrote:

> That would be a good idea, although to a certain extent it's
> just as easy to directly connect to the database.

The problem with directly connecting to the database is that
you will need to duplicate all the logic in the existing CGI
code. So, since there is no code reuse between the CGI scripts
(written in Perl) and the Win32 client (written in VB), when
people start adding functionality to the CGI, you will need to
add identical functionality to the VB client. After a while,
this might get frustrating.

About the telnet client I mentioned earlier, it seems that it
is broken quite badly and will need to be rewritten. But it
would likely not be rewritten until Koha is better modularized.

> I'm not sure how to go about starting to help with
> modularization... But m willing to give anything a go.
>
> How far away is 2.1 likely to be? My main reason for doing
> stuff now is that I'm currently unemployed (I'm a student, and
> it's summer), and while doing a course, it's not anywhere near
> full time (again, it's summer).
>
> Likely by the time it is released, I'll be back in a full time
> course.

I think someone else might be better to answer these.

--
Ambrose Li  <address@hidden>