koha-devel

RE: [Koha-devel] Re: A Win32 circulation client (beginning stages)

From: Patrick Quinn-Graham
Subject: RE: [Koha-devel] Re: A Win32 circulation client (beginning stages)
Date: Sun Jan 19 14:40:02 2003

That's got to be one of my sorepoints - I'm used to the way I code in
PHP with Smarty to template all of my design from my content. Makes life
a whole lot easier.

> > I'm not really familiar with getting perl to do something over
> > a network other than through a webbrowser, so I don't know how
> > much I could help in that regard.
>
> If you don't mind working within the existing framework for
> the moment, then you don't have to worry about knowing how to
> send things over the network. A CGI-type script doesn't have
> to directly send things to the network; it only communicates
> with the web server using an API that involves only sending
> and receiving through standard input, standard output, and the
> environment (the CGI "protocol"). With perl you don't even need
> to worry about the input and the environment. Same thing with
> communicating with the SQL server; all is done through API's
> provided by classes.

I'm perfectly fine with CGI - what I meant by this was for communicating
in ways other than over the web (as HTTP isn't the best for application
requests really)

> Could you file a bug report in bugs.koha.org about these
> JavaScript errors?

I'll go do that shortly.

> > My biggest issue right now: authenticating users... how does
> > Koha do it?  I can't quite seem to figure it out just by
> > looking at the code.
>
> I believe the logic is mostly in the C4::Auth module; of course
> the scripts need to be written a certain way in order for
> authentication to work. I believe the user names and passwords
> are in a MySQL table, and at the "browser" level the user sees
> it as a cookie-based authentication.

I'll go look at that now too.

--
Patrick.