koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Re: HTML files

From: Ambrose Li
Subject: [Koha-devel] Re: HTML files
Date: Tue Jan 21 08:16:13 2003

In article <address@hidden>,
Bobby Billingsley  <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]

>Also, the tidy program seems to do a nice job of converting
>style-type tags into style properties/CSS - is this desireable?

My personal opinion is that this is only partly desirable. Part
of an open-source OPAC's strengths is that it can be run on a
text browser. If we drop all "style-type" tags, we lose B, U,
INS, DEL, HR, etc. (tags that can degrade gracefully on a text
browser); CSS styles can't be trusted to do all the tasks we
assume they can do.

If Koha does not use B, U, INS, DEL, or HR, I guess converting
the style-type tags to CSS is then indeed desirable.

(Personally I think the W3C folks are somewhat misguided in
their effort to rid HTML of "style" tags and/or moving to
XML. They should be instead focusing on making HTML compatible
of actual (human) languages. A lot of the so-called "style" tags
have limited semantic functions in certain contexts but can only
be safely mapped to SPAN which is completely devoid of semantics.)

--
Ambrose LI Cheuk-Wing  <address@hidden>