koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Question about Acquisitions and 'Biblios in koha'

From: Roger Horne
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Question about Acquisitions and 'Biblios in koha'
Date: Fri Apr 30 08:40:02 2004

On Fri 30 Apr, Stephen Hedges wrote:

> Tomasz, are you working with imported MARC records?  Some of them may have
> extra stuff in the ISBN tag -- like "1234567890 (pa.)" to indicate a
> paperback edition.  (Which seems to me to violate the concept of a
> tracking 'number' and get it confused with information that should be in a
> note, if anywhere -- sorry, just one of my complaints about the sad state
> of MARC cataloging.)

Purely out of interest, what are Koha and other systems meant to do with a
book that lists on its back cover separate ISBNs for different countries eg
"An Introduction to the History of Printing Types", Dowding, The British
Library & Oak Knoll Press, has "0712345779 (UK) and 1884718434 (US)" printed
on the outside.

Roger
--
Roger Horne, 11 New Square, Lincoln's Inn, London WC2A 3QB
http://hrothgar.co.uk/