RE: L4-Hurd; wortel's missing modules; was: (autoreconf errors)

From: Christopher Nelson
Subject: RE: L4-Hurd; wortel's missing modules; was: (autoreconf errors)
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:41:58 -0700

>"Christopher Nelson" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>: Where do I go from here?  Is there documentation on what needs to be
>: done?  I'd really like to help out here, if possible.
>
>I suggest you start poking through the documentation in hurd-l4/doc .
>There are tons of stuff that needs to be done; for example,
>the physmem server, the task-server (still Niels domain?), the
>device driver framework.  But first there need to be some
>agreement on how the initial tasks should be bootstrapped
>(what information they need, and how they should provide
>service to the other bootstrap servers).

I have looked at all that, but I didn't know how much was actually done.
(If anything.)  The physmem server seems to be in place already.
Nothing very interesting can happen until we have device drivers, b/c we
can't even talk to the disks to load interesting programs until that
happens.  I am assuming we want to have user-space drivers, and that the
primary drivers (e.g. persistent storage and filesystem) will be loaded
by GRUB.  From then we can have some program in charge of looking at
what hardware is in the machine and loading the correct drivers.

I have seen that there is interest in enabling the Linux DDE in the
context of Hurd.  Is this primarily so that Linux drivers can be used
straight-up from Hurd, and so that Hurd does not need to maintain it's
own drivers?  Or is this simply so that the Hurd-L4 can bootstrap itself
quickly w/o needing to re-implement drivers from scratch?

As far as how to setup the initial tasks, why has there not been
agreement? Is it political, or is it that no one really has a good idea?

        -={C}=-