Re: The idea of an own L4

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: The idea of an own L4
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 13:16:14 -0400

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 18:48 +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    Surely Hurd has been delayed long enough? In order to have social
>    impact with Hurd, Hurd has to ship. Soon.
>
> I think you are confusing the Hurd with the Hurd on L4.  One could
> make a 0.3 release tomorrow of the Hurd, where for the Hurd on L4 it
> wouldn't make sense since it isn't near usable.

I apologize. You are entirely correct.

However, it appears to me that the future of Hurd lies with l4-hurd.
Arhcitectural changes are happening in Hurd, and as this occurs the
exisiting Hurd system will become progressively less important.

As an outsider, I do not hear people talking about "original hurd" much.
Perhaps I am listening in the wrong places. The successor has a good
chance at greater impact.