Re: Let's do some coding :-)

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Let's do some coding :-)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:47:16 +0200

   Nobody has the right to decide anything.  Nobody is payed for
   working on the Hurd's future and has to obey his employer's rules.

You forgot the person who created the GNU project.  He has much to
decide.  And RMS will sure enjoy delaying the GNU system for another
20 years because of `I don't like POSIX'.

   Everyone of us is working on this project in his spare time.  If
   Marcus et al. want to work on building a new, forward-oriented
   operating system `Hurd', that is fine.

Then it shouldn't be a GNU project.  The Hurd is the kernel of the GNU
system, not a new fangled operating system that can't run any programs
from the GNU project.

   If Alfred et al. want to work on preserving and bug-fixing the
   current implementation of the Hurd, that is also fine.

I actually don't want that, there are several faults in the current
implementation, but none that people have pointed out or cares about.
Important parts, like drivers--the lack of a half decent driver
framework is a huge design flaw, both in the Hurd, and Hurd/L4 (and
don't kid me it doesn't have a driver framework yet).  People only
care about totally unimportant things that can actually be fixed
without any complete redesign and ditching several gigs of code as
Jonathan suggests.