Re: How come DRM would provide anything?

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: How come DRM would provide anything?
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 11:03:31 -0500

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 23:59 +0100, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> Scribit Jonathan S. Shapiro dies 05/12/2005 hora 17:14:
> > What I think you are missing here is that if the TPM chip is
> > compromised, it isn't *you* who is at risk. It's the content vendor.
>
> Not if I use the TC/TPM to ``create mutually trusting federations of
> Hurd systems''. ;-)

Hmm. Yes. So my statement needs to be revised to say that the party at
risk is the party who relies on the TPM for attestation.

That being said, I still think that the incentives mostly work in your
favor. It doesn't matter if somebody compromises TPM to go after you or
for some other reason. In order to do so, they need to compromise
everyone, and the economic balances therefore come into play.

> But I think I'm somewhat convinced by your arguments, for the moment
> (I've taken the habit to mumble positively when I think someone is
> right, and still not take any firm decision on what he said before
> days...).

This is a good thing. These issues are really subtle, and it is very
easy to get them wrong, so mumble away.