ladcca-devel

Re: [ladcca] starting up the server - JACK error: cannot connect to jack

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [ladcca] starting up the server - JACK error: cannot connect to jack server
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 07:25:33 +0000

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 23:41, Alex Timmer wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 03:09, Piotr Sawicki wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I have mdk 9.2 with ladcca 0.4.0 installed from thac's rpm.
> >>
> >> As in the manual, it is supoosed to start the server before jack
> >
> >> address@hidden piotr]# ladccad
> >> JACK error: cannot connect to jack server
> >
> > What in the manual gave you that impression?  You need to start jackd
> > before ladccad; if the manual is giving any other idea then it needs
> > to be fixed.

> i also tried to use ladcca, and i have the "LADCCA reference manual".
> in e.g. 6.1.1.1 Session Example, there is stated that: "Before all
> else, the user starts the server".

Ah, thanks for pointing that out.

> i think i have a problem with my ladcca
> installation. i use planet CCRMA and run :
>
> - ladccad version 0.3.1 (compiled w. ALSA 0.9.2 /JACK 0.67.2 it says)
> - jackd 0.80.0
>
> i hope this is not too old. i dont have internet connection on my audio
> box so i have to use the cdroms which dont get updated every week  :(

Well, the problem you're experiencing is 0.3.0-specific.  The ui project
no longer exists in 0.4.0.

> when i start ladccad as user i get the following message:

> cca_create_dir: warning: directory '/root/audio-projects/ui-project'
> already exists, but we don't have permission to read it

> interestingly though this directory
> /root/audio-projects/.. does not exist!

I'll have a look at that.

> if i understand section 3.2.1.1 in the manual, then the default compile
> option for the directory is in the user's $HOME which would be
> /home/guitar/ in my case  :)

It's not $HOME; it's the home directory of whoever ran the configure
script.  This has changed in 0.4.0 as well.  There are 0.4.0 packages
for ccrma now; it might be an idea to download them and install them
offline.

Cheers,

Bob

--
Bob Ham <address@hidden>

"At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at
Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in
Outlook's preview pane." -- Gabe Newell on the Half-Life 2 source leak