ladcca-devel

Re: [ladcca] starting up the server - JACK error: cannot connect to jack

From: Alex Timmer
Subject: Re: [ladcca] starting up the server - JACK error: cannot connect to jack server
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 23:41:05 +0000 (GMT)

> On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 03:09, Piotr Sawicki wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have mdk 9.2 with ladcca 0.4.0 installed from thac's rpm.
>>
>> As in the manual, it is supoosed to start the server before jack
>
>> address@hidden piotr]# ladccad
>> JACK error: cannot connect to jack server
>
> What in the manual gave you that impression?  You need to start jackd
> before ladccad; if the manual is giving any other idea then it needs
> to be fixed.

hello, i just subscribed today so forgive the cruel text wrapping!

i also tried to use ladcca, and i have the "LADCCA reference manual".
in e.g. 6.1.1.1 Session Example, there is stated that: "Before all
else, the user starts the server". for me this would be much clearer
written as "Before all else, the user starts the JACK server, then the
LADCCA server". truly step-by-step guide for the newbies   :)

> I also note you're running as root; not a good idea.  All the ladcca
> projects will be owned by root and all the clients will be run as
root
> when you reload a project as well.

i am glad to read this!! i think i have a problem with my ladcca
installation. i use planet CCRMA and run :

- ladccad version 0.3.1 (compiled w. ALSA 0.9.2 /JACK 0.67.2 it says)
- jackd 0.80.0

i hope this is not too old. i dont have internet connection on my audio
box so i have to use the cdroms which dont get updated every week  :(

when i start ladccad as user i get the following message:

address@hidden guitar]$ ladccad
Connected to JACK server with client name 'ladccad'
Opened ALSA sequencer with client ID 128
Listening on port 14541
cca_create_dir: warning: directory '/root/audio-projects/ui-project'
already exists, but we don't have permission to read it

this means i cannot really use ladcca because settings etc cannot be
written in this location. interestingly though this directory
/root/audio-projects/.. does not exist! (i checked as root after i
started ladccad)

if i understand section 3.2.1.1 in the manual, then the default compile
option for the directory is in the user's $HOME which would be
/home/guitar/ in my case  :)

any thoughts appreciated.
gr, ALEX
<SNIP>