libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] [gnu-prog-discuss] libreboot is not GNU Libreboot anymor

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] [gnu-prog-discuss] libreboot is not GNU Libreboot anymore
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 15:27:43 -0400

Hey, Leah:

I'm speaking to you personally, not on behalf of GNU.

I don't know anything more than the public does about this situation,
but I do understand why you feel as you do, from what you have
described.  And I am saddened that you feel as you do, regardless of
circumstance.

I worked with you for quite some time to evaluate Libreboot when you
offered it to GNU.  When we started the process, you still identified as
Francis; you started your transition part-way through.  I expressed my
strong support---and I still do.

But it went no further than that.  The only other time that this was
brought up was to inform rms of your name change and transition to avoid
obvious confusion.

So I'm a bit disappointed personally, because you know that, at the
highest level of GNU, your transition caused no issue.  It wasn't even a
consideration.  Does that not demonstrate a lack of prejudice?  I was
happy for you, and I still am.

The GNU project is made up of numerous projects, with numerous
maintainers and co-maintainers.  They're all free to do their own thing;
any guidelines that maintainers have to follow are completely
public.  They have no idea what's going on.  _I_ have no idea what's
going on---I wasn't aware that the FSF even had any staff changes until
they started advertising job openings.

But when you speak out against the GNU Project as a whole, you are
affecting all of them.  All of these maintainers---me included---are
given a bad image, and their projects may be affected.  Do they deserve
that?

The FSF supports GNU by provided the project with hosting, but that's
the extent of it.

Thanks for hearing me out.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer