libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Open tech calendar

From: Sergio Durigan Junior
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Open tech calendar
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 13:37:48 -0400

On Monday, October 06 2014, Blaise Alleyne wrote:

> Maybe a good wishlist idea for the website?
>
> I'm not sure if MediaWiki (LibrePlanet wiki) is best for iCal or RSS format
> for
> events (the kind of calendar feed someone could actually subscribe to).

Yeah, MediaWiki has some calendar infrastructure:

  <http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Event:LibrePlanet>

But I'm not sure one can subscribe to it, indeed.  And it's also
web-centric I believe, which is an anti-feature IMO.

> It could be a good wishlist item for libreplanet.ca, even for something
> Canada-wide (if we did it for Ontario, there's no reason it couldn't be used
> beyond that).

Agreed.

> Though, there's a scope question too -- to what extent would a LibrePlanet
> group
> keep track of events that may be of interest to members but not specifically
> software freedom events? That is, would LibrePlanet Ontario be the best fit
> for
> this?

That's a good and tricky question.

The way I see it, we should only promote events that are strongly
related to Free Software.  For example, I am not *so* sure we should
promote a Python conference, because many Pythonists are definitely not
into the Free Software philosophy.  However, if we do that, we might end
up not listing almost anything in our calendar...

Which leads me to the next point: we should try to participate in as
many events as we can.  This has already been discussed in our first
meeting, so I'm not going to explain everyhing again.  So IMO:

- If the conference is not about Free Software/Open Source, we don't
  list it in our calendar.

- If the conference is about Free Software, we list it in our calendar.

- If the conference is not strongly related to Free Software but is not
  about a proprietary thing (e.g., a Python conference, or some Ubuntu
  event), then we only list it in our calendar if we are able to attend
  it representing our group (and we put some disclaimer in the calendar
  as well).

WDYT?  Too complicated?  :-)

--
Sergio