Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Pixen Alternative for Linux

From: Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Pixen Alternative for Linux
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 22:52:00 +0200

On 09/06/2011 10:36 PM, Daniel Martí wrote:
> It's not of their concern. Non-free repos are not part of the install
> config and onky users who really wish it can add them, to their own
> risk. Debian clearly states they are not recommended but we accept that
> in some cases the temporal use of non-free software can do some good, as
> in developing free alternatives to it.

I believe that the only legitimate use of non-free software is while in
the development of a free replacement for it.

Someone who is developing a free software replacement to foo probably
won't need it to be in a repo to do their work.

> Furthermore, guess why Debian doesn't give away mozilla products, which
> all of your "completely free" distros do. Plus, i believe choice to be
> another freedom.

So does Microsoft.

> If you understand the risk and the danger, why
> shouldn't you be able to decide it yourself? Again, non-free software is
> not considered a long-term solution anyway.

A distribution can never stop users from installing whatever software
they want in their computer. This is the freedom that free software
gives you: use your computer as you want.

Although, distro developers can make a political decision in favour of
freedom and give up on actively making it easier for users to trap
themselves with non-free software. They are spending time, resources and
effort in making non-free software available to users in an easy
fashion. IMHO this is promoting non-free software, not giving freedom of
choice, which users indeed already have by using a(n almost) free
operating system.

--
Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva

http://garoa.net.br