Re: [libreplanet-discuss] review respect of code of conduct on Mancheste

From: Thomas Harding
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] review respect of code of conduct on Manchester FAQ
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 22:18:23 +0200

On 01/08/2012 19:36, Quiliro Ordóñez wrote:
El 01/08/12 11:25, Mark Holmquist escribió:

That is a good idea. The document now gives the impression that using Debian is good for freedom. It is important to make it clear in each section that Debian does not have a clear policy for freedom yet.

I can't bear this flamewar FSF vs Debian : Debian have a really clear policy on what software freedom is (DFSG guidelines), and have contrary to any other linux distro a "clearly separated on freedom basis" distribution model : free, contrib and non-free (non-us has disappeared for years but was even more a user freedom against US crypto restrictions).

Debian offers to it's users the choice on what they want/don't want to use (or they are in obligation to use, as some non-free kernel blobs), and debian-legal is active in case of doubt.

And "main", made exclusively of free software, is the only active by default.

I suspect FSF to point-out Debian because FSF itself have a non-free licence regarding DFSG.

TH.