Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in projec

From: Mary-Anne Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in project management & collaboration tools? And...
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 23:30:19 +0000 (UTC)

> Actually, my motivation stems from being really unhappy with centralized
> solutions.  I'm basically going the other way:

> - everyone has their own copy of an action item list and supporting
> documents
> - updates are replicated via a peer-to-peer, asynchronous protocol

> Essentially, the look and feel of sharing a Google Doc, Google
> Spreadsheet, or Wiki Page; but where everybody has a local copy, can
> work offline, make private annotations, and so forth.

> For a lot of people, a Google Spreadsheet, or one of the new web-based
> checklist sharing packages is just fine.  This is for those of us who:
> - like our own copies of things, and/or,
> - need to work disconnected a lot of the time (on airplanes, responding
> to disasters, and so forth)

Lotus notes will do that, but it is not free or open source
and it requires servers.
Groove at one point tried to do the same as notes using peer-to-peer
without servers, but I don't know what became of it, and it is also,
I think, closed source.

You're almost talking about using a Bit Torrent like technology
underneath a project management front end....
or something like database mirroring or
mirroring of FTP sites.

This gets you part of the way there,
but does not include disconnected operation.
http://theprojectwall.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/peer-to-project-communication-what-if-the-project-itself-was-a-member-of-the-project/

This might almost fund it, or part of it
http://www.mass.gov/hed/community/funding/peer-to-peer.html

But I have never seen anything exactly like what you describe.

So, are you thinking of this on laptops or on mobile devices
or both?

Mary-Anne