Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in projec

From: Mark Holmquist
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in project management & collaboration tools? And...
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 16:36:34 -0700

- everyone has their own copy of an action item list and supporting
documents
- updates are replicated via a peer-to-peer, asynchronous protocol

I can imagine a git-based system that creates a git repository with some meta-files (something like .gitpeers) that keep track of other users. Whenever you connect to a network, it checks for updates and tries to apply them; if there are conflicts, it notifies you and backs off. You could implement it as a pretty tiny daemon, probably. Any language should be able to do it.

For a lot of people, a Google Spreadsheet, or one of the new web-based
checklist sharing packages is just fine.  This is for those of us who:
- like our own copies of things, and/or,
- need to work disconnected a lot of the time (on airplanes, responding
to disasters, and so forth)

- like to be free

This is a really funny conversation to be having on LP-discuss, guys. "Google Docs/Atlassian/Lotus Notes might work, lol" <-- not super-helpful to the Free Software people on this list who might be interested in the topic.

I've toyed with the idea of using a full-on suite of software-project management for personal task management. Phabricator is currently a good choice for me, but I haven't gotten around to putting it online yet. I'll see if I can test it this week and get back to everyone.

Good news: It's free.

--
Mark Holmquist
Contractor, Wikimedia Foundation