Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in projec

From: Miles Fidelman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in project management & collaboration tools? And...
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 20:33:45 -0400

Mark Holmquist wrote:
On 08/06/2012 05:05 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
That's sort of the mental model, with a few nits:

- looking at Fossil - which incorporates distributed wiki and bug
tracking with a git-like distributed version control system

Great plan. You could almost just git-track an instance of TiddlyWiki and call it a day.

True, or use Git-Annex. The thing is, I really don't like the Tiddly interface - maybe it's just me. A lot of the underlying guts, yes, but I'm shooting for one version that's more list/spreadsheet like, and another that's outline-like. And I'm looking at distributing changes, rather than entire TiddlyWikis.

- looking at a publish-subscribe, multi-cast protocol - to avoid nodes
having to do peer-wise pushes or pulls (actually, NNTP would be perfect
- with crypto for access controls)

Yeah, pub-sub is a lot more complicated, especially with P2P, since it would involve opening ports and so on. I mean, it's possible.

- think "git as a JavaScript library, embedded in the replicated document"

Sounds like "distributed Etherpad Lite". Have you looked at that, and thought about simply making it distributed somehow?

Etherpad is pretty much real-time. I'm shooting for async operations - update when you can.

By the way... since the link managed to get dropped:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1947703258/smart-notebooks-keeping-on-the-same-page-across-th

Eugh, "open software". It's like people just post to this list for publicity, no regard for what we're trying to do. Wait....you're an evil genius, that's the only explanation.

Trying to be. One of my kids even made me an "Evil Doctor My My" id badge. :-)

Supported by the fact that your beta/alpha users (and release users? must be a typo?) will only have access to the source code if they pay you extra. That's not how free software works, I'm sorry to break it to you.

I've got to have some kinds of incentives to raise money! I'm going with a limited release model of both object and source - can't quite see releasing to the world until I've gone through a couple of revs. Of course, with a GPL, anybody who gets the alpha or beta code will be free to redistribute.