Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in projec

From: Miles Fidelman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in project management & collaboration tools? And...
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:29:22 -0400

Zygo Blaxell wrote:
On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 11:18:53AM -0700, Mark Holmquist wrote:
On 12-08-06 05:33 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Supported by the fact that your beta/alpha users (and release users?
must be a typo?) will only have access to the source code if they pay
you extra. That's not how free software works, I'm sorry to break it
to you.

I've got to have some kinds of incentives to raise money!  I'm going
with a limited release model of both object and source - can't quite see
releasing to the world until I've gone through a couple of revs.  Of
course, with a GPL, anybody who gets the alpha or beta code will be free
to redistribute.
If you're ignoring users' digital freedom simply because you want to
make money, take your advertising somewhere else, because this is
clearly not the place for it. I'm sure there are a lot of free
software mailing lists where people straight up wouldn't care, but
this is not one of them.

Of course, maybe I've misunderstood the purpose of this list. If so,
I invite dissent!
Freedom is not necessarily incompatible with charging a fee for access
to a distribution service that happens to contain specific GPLed content,
assuming that's what Miles meant by "limited release."

For this particular kind of software, though, would it not make more
sense to offer contributors some number of hours of professional support
service, site integration, or even server hosting (if that's necessary
or helpful)?  Serious users of a project management tool are using the
tool to coordinate other people's activities to achieve a goal within
a deadline *by definition*.  Those users may be willing to pay for
assurance that at least one contractor with skill and domain knowledge
(and who is _not_ already committed to other tasks, perhaps by the
very same project management tool!) will be available to help keep it
all working as advertised when it's crunch time, or help recover from
various disaster scenarios.

for a kickstarter project, it really comes down to trying to figure out something meaningful to offer to contributors - the two things I could come up with were:

i. earlier access to the initial code (the whole "limited beta" model) - the goal is to release everything as GPL, but in the early stages:

- I'm really uncomfortable inflicting really early code on the world at large - folks who are going to test it, hack it, is one thing, but I get really scared about naive users who might expect more than the initial code can deliver (not to mention support requests and such)

- there has to be a server-side component - for distribution, protocol services, and such - ultimately the idea is that some folks will run their own servers, we'll offer a paid service, others will do so as well (think email servers - lots of choices) - but.. during development the protocols will still be in flux, as will the server-side software, and our servers will be going up and down all the time -- so, there's an issue about controlling load and usage -- leads to the idea that one "reward" is early access to the code for folks who might be thinking of running their own servers

- beyond that, I'd really like to run one or two large-scale experiments with the tools - hence the notion of finding a sponsor or two who has an upcoming need to organize a conference, or an event, or a crowdsourced data gathering effort - my time is the real limit here - I can support maybe two of these - more than that, I won't have time to code or build infrastructure

Thanks!

Miles