Re: [libreplanet-discuss] DRM in HTML5

From: Thomas Harding
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] DRM in HTML5
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 20:53:39 +0100

Le 19/03/2013 08:24, Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak a écrit :
Such scheme would not work. Read on.

An assymetric key whose public one is published by the user is peer to peer and there is no way to restrict content on the peer who receiveid it (the content) other than law.

A possible triple envelope (eg, a signed by saler "serial number + purchaser key id", unobstrusive) would be a simple proof of purchase, and a proof of source in case of illegal resale (buy one, sale many).

It is obvious a legal resale scheme (second hand) is needed.

This scheme avoids rental of virtual (which is obviously stupid), and avoids the ephemeral existence of a work given by any other kind of DRM.

Considering what is typed on a DVD as granted license, and the numerous second-hand DVD/CD/whatever shops, this needs enforced laws and treaties to avoid that licenses which anyway not applies to physical copies :)

But is really any DRM needed?
No. It's bad for culture, users, artists and business. As Cory
Doctorow aptly put years ago (speaking, Oh The Irony, to Microsoft
people):
Good short, bad quoting.
http://craphound.com/msftdrm.txt
This is one of the best sources left. Unfortunately too long for any businessman's brain: they needs for at most one hundred and twenty words to pay attention (for the best ones).

Note at same times, a female American singer talked about her disc recordings which never gain her a cent but charged to her each time abusive costs from disc company.

Unfortunately, such artists advocacies in favour of DRM are well known, gains a lot of money, but are more eye-candies furbished icons than artists.

Note that some artists won a lot of money but didn't leaves her soul:

If I remain correctly, a jazzman who says after 50 years career he has to improve his left hand... copylefted his music.

There is also a famous actor who advocacies in favor of Free software. And that's not a play ;)

This I consider the most thorough summary of issues related to DRM
available, if there are better I would love to read them.

/We/ doesn't matter on what we'd love to read: we need to find or provide sources good enough to be heard by who don't understand the evidence.

We need short term evidences to proof to short term minds in what DRM is bad.

--
T. Harding