Re: [libreplanet-discuss] helping friends kill their facebook accounts

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] helping friends kill their facebook accounts
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 13:35:19 +0200

On 04/28/2016 10:03 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> That applies to day and month, but not year

That's why I said classmates, since they can safely be assumed to be the
same age (or in a close range).

Also, you are assuming this person (or any of his acquaintances on
Facebook or WhatsApp) never once stated their age, which is unlikely.

But there are really countless of ways that this information can be
obtained given the amount of information Facebook usually has.

The most ridiculous way I can think of is using computer vision (or a
real person) to count the candles on a birthday cake in a picture.

In short, if they really want this information, they can get it pretty
easily.

> Some people have their date of birth completely private too, so they may
> not have a lot of happy birthday messages, if any.

Relatives and close friends are usually also on Facebook and they might
remember about the birthday even without FB telling them. They say
"Happy Birthday" and your date and month of birth is leaked; they might
say "Happy 22nd birthday!" and the year of birth is also leaked.

> Also, while an algorithm may be able to sniff that out, a casual
> intruder who finds a way to get a megaleak of facebook's user list won't
> necessarily have all that other data to play with.

Let's hope so!