Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Key signing party during libreboot & educode

From: Gunnar Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Key signing party during libreboot & educode
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 23:26:39 -0600

Bob Proulx dijo [Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 05:22:08PM -0600]:
> > I am bringing several fingerprint slips with me, and expect to grow my
> > amount of cross-signing activity. You would expect me to, as I'm
> > delivering a talk on Debian's use of the cryptographic keyring! ;-)
>
> I am also bringing my key fingerprint cards and hoping to exchange
> signatures with as many people as possible.  It is important to spread
> the web of trust across the geography.
>
> > Note however that my personal policy includes not signing keys based
> > "just" on checking govt-issued IDs, but on something more "meaningful".
>
> This causes me to have more questions than answers.  Perhaps I should
> bring flowers on such a first date? :-)

It is indeed important to spread it. But, IMO, it's important for it
to be based on _trust_, not just on wanting to reach wider. My
(not-too-hard) argument is that I will sign your key if we have
interacted enough for me to be reasonably certain I would recognize
your face↔identity match in a couple of years time. Also, I care more
about the identity your peers give you; I don't care much for
government-issued IDs (as I know how easy some are to forge), but
for... Trust ☺

So, see you there.

PS- Don't bring flowers. I'm not an USA citizen, and I would not be
able to bring them home. Also, my wife would not really appreciate it.