Re: Chord brackets

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Chord brackets
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 22:28:29 +0000

Chris Jackson wrote:

Before I get bored of hacking brackets, I'd like to implement vertical
brackets down the side of chords, meaning "don't arpeggiate me". I
suppose this should be done by the arpeggio engraver, and drawn in the
same way as the horizontal brackets.
But what should the grob be called (Arpeggio, or a new one,
ChordBracket?)

Germans have been using these to indicate barring in guitar
music for a long time.  What instrument is "don't arpeggiate"
supposed to refer to?

and what property should be set to turn it on? Something
like \property Staff.Arpeggio \override #'arpeggio-type = #'bracket ?,
and then use ordinary \arpeggio requests?

Information is not knowledge.           Belief is not truth.
Indoctrination is not teaching.   Tradition is not evidence.
         David Raleigh Arnold   address@hidden