Re: Upgrading to 1.5.52

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Upgrading to 1.5.52
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:11:09 +0200

Note: patch attached!

> I just installed 1.5.52 and attempted to run it.  (I've been running
> on 1.4.12.)
>
> Some stuff works ok, but input/twinkle.ly generates a postscript file
> where all the noteheads are dashes.  This is after doing clean-font
> and sourcing buildscripts/out/lilypond-profile.

There may still be some old font files left-over that clean-font
doesn't find if you're unlucky. The command 'kpsewhich feta20.pk'
should tell you where xdvi and dvips finds the bitmapped fonts.

> I also still have the problem I reported yesterday to lilypond-user
> where lilypond-book errors out on a python runtime error:
>
> RuntimeError: maximum recursion limit exceeded

This turns out to be a known problem in some more recent versions
of Python, the program works well with Python 1.5.2 and 2.2 but not
with versions 1.6 through 2.1.

Instead of trying to rewrite the regular expression for
lilypond blocks, I found a workaround in an old article of
the comp.lang.python newsgroup, namely to load the old
implementation of 're', which is available under the name 'pre'.

This patch should apply equally well to Lilypond 1.4.12 and 1.5.52.

   /Mats