Re: Problem with triangular noteheads back

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Problem with triangular noteheads back
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:04:04 +0200

>     Mats> One way to keep the font lilypond installations
>     Mats> completely independent is to make sure that you
>     Mats> have write permission in the directory
>     Mats> $prefix/share/lilypond/1.x.xx/fonts/pk/
>     Mats> for both your installations (one way is to
>     Mats> let it be a soft link to soem directory in /tmp/.
>     Mats> Of course these should be different for the two
>     Mats> Lilypond versions).
>
> This seems to be true for the 1.4 installation, but it's looking at
> the system-wide version anyway.

Yes, you probably have to do it for both the installations,
since teTeX still looks in the global $VARTEXFONTS directory.
Clearly, teTeX isn't really designed to handle situations with
several different versions of the same font files since all the
standard TeX fonts have been stable for many years now.

Also, depending on your specific installation, this may happen
anyway. Look in the file pointed to by
kpsewhich -format='web2c files' mktex.cnf
If the MT_FEATURES variable contains 'varfonts', the fonts will
always be generated in $VARTEXFONTS even if you have write
permission in the texmf tree.

>     Mats> Another method is to explicitly set the
>     Mats> environment variable VARTEXFONTS to point to some
>     Mats> writable directory, again using different
>     Mats> directories for the two versions.
>
> Yes, this seems to be working.  Unfortunately, it's rebuilding all the
> text fonts, too, but I suppose that isn't a long-term problem.

No, that's just the first time each font is used. You could add
soft links for the directories below pk/ljfour/public/ that
are not related to Lilypond from your own VARTEXFONTS directory
to the default one where you already have the fonts built.

   /Mats