Re: Problem with triangular noteheads back

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Problem with triangular noteheads back
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:00:57 +0200

>     >> Can I stop this?  I really need to be running both 1.4 and 1.5 these
>     >> days.
>     >>

>     Juergen> Yes.  If kpathsea does not find such a general directory where
> everybody
>     Juergen> has write access to, the files will be created on the fly in the
> current
>     Juergen> working directory (and will be recognized there the next time
> lilypond
>     Juergen> is run again).  This is what's happening on my machine for years
> regarding
>     Juergen> lilypond .pk files (and only them; don't ask me why!), but I am
> actually
>     Juergen> happy about that, because this way I can effectively run lilypond
>     Juergen> installations in parallel.
>
> Yes, this used to happen to me, too, and it was a bit of a nuisance
> when I upgraded since clean-fonts didn't remove them.  But recently it
> stopped; I don't know why.

That's one of the main features of the new font
installation strategy, introduced in 1.5.42.
Some details can be found in
Documentation/misc/fontinstallation.

One way to keep the font lilypond installations
completely independent is to make sure that you
have write permission in the directory
$prefix/share/lilypond/1.x.xx/fonts/pk/
for both your installations (one way is to
let it be a soft link to soem directory in /tmp/.
Of course these should be different for the two
Lilypond versions).
Another method is to explicitly set the
environment variable VARTEXFONTS to point to some
writable directory, again using different
directories for the two versions.

Some more information on the general mechanisms
that play games here, can be found in the comments
of the file `kpsewhich texmf.cnf` and in the
info documentation of kpathsea.

   /Mats