Shape Notes

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Shape Notes
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 22:07:29 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> I am a new user and potential developer to LilyPond, and am interested in
> adding support for Shape Notes.  I use LilyPond for typesetting music for

Cool!

> My thoughts so far are:
>
> Modify the Note-Heads class to include an alternate print function along the
> lines of brew_ez_stencil.

Sounds good.

> This new function (brew_shape_stencil or whatever) would need to have access
> to the local key signature applicable to the note head.  It isn't clear to
> me how to get that.  It has been very hard for me to figure out what
> properties are available for what objects.  Being a guile/scheme novice, I'm
> not sure of what I'm seeing in the code yet - but this is what I surmise:
>
> Any code can add any property to any object.  What structure is there seems
> to be by convention.  Is that true?

Yep.

> If so, then how do I determine what that convention is?  How do I determine
> what an appropriate modification to that convention should be?

I don't really see why the notehead itself needs to know the key
signature - the pitch object has the full pitch information (including
chromatic alterations). If anything, IMO, there should rather be a
function or engraver that uses the localKeySignature to set a property
in the note head. The note head property determines what shape it
should have.