Shape Notes

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Shape Notes
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 22:12:09 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> > me how to get that.  It has been very hard for me to figure out what
> > properties are available for what objects.  Being a guile/scheme novice, I'm
> > not sure of what I'm seeing in the code yet - but this is what I surmise:
> >
> > Any code can add any property to any object.  What structure is there seems
> > to be by convention.  Is that true?
>
> Yep.
>
> > If so, then how do I determine what that convention is?  How do I determine
> > what an appropriate modification to that convention should be?
>
> I don't really see why the notehead itself needs to know the key
> signature - the pitch object has the full pitch information (including
> chromatic alterations). If anything, IMO, there should rather be a

Oh wait, now I remember; the shapes denote relative positions within
the scale. You are probably looking for the tonic property, so there
should be a Shape_note_engraver, that uses the tonic context-property
to determine the shape grob-property of noteheads.

Probably the easiest approach is to leave the existing
Note_head_engraver in place, and make a Shape_note_engraver, that
acknowledges Note head objects, and sets their shape grob-property.