RE: Shape Notes

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: RE: Shape Notes
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 23:15:03 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Ok.  That sounds logical.  It doesn't sound too hard.  A few questions
> (these may be rather obvious - but it isn't to me - so please bear with me):
>
> "tonic" is a Pitch object that defines the tonic of the current key?  If so,
> that's perfect.

yep.

> I can't seem to find the "shape" property anywhere.  Are you proposing that
> I add that property to Note-head grobs?  Would that be some kind of string -
> which could be used by the Note-Head class when building the glyph name?

Yes. shape is just a proposal.  Probably it's better to use glyph (a
string), because that exists already.

> If that is what you are proposing, I think I would want to rename the solfa
> font names to be more conducive to the way in which Note-Head builds glyph
> names.  Basically, arrange the name to be like other note names.  For
> example:
>
> "solfa-0do" would be renamed "notehead-0do" or something similar
> ("notehead-0-solfa-do")
>
> Then if the shape property exists - use it; otherwise use the
> "glyph-name-procedure" method.

Yes - however, I would simply use a number:

 notehead-0-solfa-3 is fa
 notehead-0-solfa-4 is sol
 notehead-0-solfa-5 is la
 notehead-0-solfa-6 is mi

that makes for easier computation, since you can do subtract tonic
from the pitch, to get that part of the name.

> Another problem I have is with "fa".  A different shape is chosen for notes
> with stems based on the direction of the stem.  Would the engraver have that
> information available to it?

No, but you could have the print function do lookup, taking into
account the #'glyph setting and the direction of the stem.