templates and "official" styles

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: templates and "official" styles
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:14:15 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> The question of an "official" LilyPond style comes up every so often.
> (ie something like "always begin with a \version string, then
> the \headers.  Violinx should be written as violinOne, violinTwo, etc")
>
> I used to like the idea, but now I've moved into the "don't care; do
> whatever
> you want, as long as it compiles" camp.  However, if there was interest
> in it, I wouldn't mind including a section on "official" templates /
> style
> stuff.  With a note that these are suggestions; like all coding styles,
> there's
> no real "right" answer.  (apart from two-space tabs.  That's definitely
> the
> right answer.  ;)
>
> Anyway, shall I bring this up on lilypond-user?  Or is there some
> reason why
> the Lilypond Project doesn't want to include Official Style Guidelines
> (tm) ?

Because the Lilypond doesn't care what users do. It's more that we
want to have a uniform style so our manual and examples look uniform.
Better that we don't set Official Guidelines, rather, we could present
our style as an option.

FWIW, I always use the emacs standard mode settings, which does 4
space indents. However, the manual does not use standard indents.
2 space indents makes more sense for the space constrained manual.

Maybe we ought to set our standard to two spaces, and move all manual
examples to 2 spaces. Jan?