Re: templates and "official" styles

From: Hans Forbrich
Subject: Re: templates and "official" styles
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 06:20:00 -0600

On Friday 27 August 2004 02:14, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Because the Lilypond doesn't care what users do. It's more that we
> want to have a uniform style so our manual and examples look uniform.
> Better that we don't set Official Guidelines, rather, we could present
> our style as an option.
>
> FWIW, I always use the emacs standard mode settings, which does 4
> space indents. However, the manual does not use standard indents.
> 2 space indents makes more sense for the space constrained manual.
>
> Maybe we ought to set our standard to two spaces, and move all manual
> examples to 2 spaces. Jan?

As an IT trainer, I've found that style suggestions can significantly ease the
learning curve and the error rate, simply by providing a set of consistent
rules for the eye to follow.

Make 'em suggestions and people can chose whether they want to use them.  If
you make the suggestions, they _will_ be used (perhaps inconsistently),
official or not.

My 'style' is based on 3 spaces <g>  (True - based on my historic visual
preference for a 2-space offset from the C language.  I use 3 spaces because
I can't seem to 'see' the backslash as part of the token, but rather an
escape preceeding a token. <sigh>)