When C++, and when scheme

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: When C++, and when scheme
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 02:11:15 -0500

I am working on a revamping the audio output portion of Lilypond, and
find myself in need of advice.  The idea is to use a set of
translators (performers) to convert the music into a time-ordered
output-generic representation of the music, and to do the conversion
into the final output format (MIDI files, for example) completely in
scheme.

In the process, I have been using a variant on Audio_elements to build
this representation.  But I find myself wondering what that gains me.
Is there any reason to use a set of C++ objects instead of straight
Scheme to make this representation?  More generically, when do you
think objects should be in C++, and when in Scheme?  If I stick with
C++ objects (which I am loathe to do without a good reason), I will
need to write a set of scheme accessor methods, regardless.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)