Re: rfc: basic color support

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: rfc: basic color support
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:38:41 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Erlend Aasland wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:13:54 +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
> > * I'd almost be tempted to either make a smob, or use a vector.
> Hmmm, I'll have to look more into smobs...
>
> > * don't forget about the svg and tex  backends.
> Ok
>
> > * implementation seems fine.
> Great, but there is a irritating "bug": noteheads seems to be engraved
> pretty early in the process, so they are overwritten by other
> engravers (StaffSymbol). See attached pdf.

We already had some discussion on color in the past, the last time maybe
one year ago.  One of the issues that was discussed is layering of grobs
in the output (i.e. like in xfig, assign a layer number as a property to
each grob, and in the backend, output the grobs in ascending number of
layers).

IIRC, Jan at that time mentioned that there is already support for layered
output.  However, this was quite a long time ago, and I do not know what
the situation with the new backends is.  Maybe this is the right time to
think about layered output in the backend once again.

Another issue that I raised in the past is, that setting the color on the
Grob level is a good starting point, but in many cases not sufficient
(e.g. when having multi-colored lines as around 10th century, or in some
contemporary educational works, where noteheads are colored depending on
their pitch).  Instead of a single color property, some grobs may require
a more detailed description (e.g. for the StaffSymbol grob, a
per-staffline list of colors (or maybe even a scheme function that maps
the staffline number to a color tuple?)).

In some cases, you also want to set a color for a bunch of grobs
simultaneously (e.g. typically you won't change the color for solely the
beams, but also for flags and stems).  But for common such cases, we could
provide macros that set the color for all relevant grobs, I guess.

Greetings,
Jürgen