Proposed patch (Was: Font problems with 2.5.27 on MacOS)

From: Matthias Neeracher
Subject: Proposed patch (Was: Font problems with 2.5.27 on MacOS)
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 11:05:05 -0700

On Jun 3, 2005, at 2:08 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Matthias Neeracher wrote:

It seems the changes in font.scm were harmful to MacOS X. On processing, I get:
warning: don't know how to embed "Verdana"="/Library/Fonts/Verdana"
and in the resulting PDF file, the chord names look weird (I believe it's Verdana substituted with Courier). This seems to be related with pango default font lookup, which I don't understand very well, and with the fact that native fonts don't seem to be handled well by the open source tool chain. Any suggestions how I could fix this? Should I just add a patch for MacOS to revert to Luxi for the sans serif font?

Yes, I guess that's best. I'd be grateful if you could find out how we can properly embed a dfont file. I know that there are utilities for extracting TTFs from dfonts.

I think I found a solution that is reasonably general: Why not pass all unknown font files to fontforge for pfa conversion? At this point in the code, it's already known that the font file must be in a font format that fontconfig understands, and I think the formats that fontforge understand are a proper superset of this, so the conversion should succeed.

I've attached a patch that implements this, and at least on MacOS X, this seems to work for the western font case. It *almost* seems to make xiao-haizi-guai-guai work too: the generated .ps has all fonts embedded, but somehow still fails pdf conversion.

Matthias