Re: Proposed patch (Was: Font problems with 2.5.27 on MacOS)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Proposed patch (Was: Font problems with 2.5.27 on MacOS)
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 01:04:20 +0200

Matthias Neeracher wrote:

On Jun 5, 2005, at 3:02 PM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Matthias Neeracher wrote:

AFAIK, a .dfont is an archive of several TTFs, and should be possible to extract the right TTF font from the .dfont directly.

Actually, we're not just dealing with dfonts here. Verdana, for instance, is a tradtional MacOS font, as far as I can tell. Also, I think that some font files may have the pfa font already embedded, so going through the ttf version may entail a loss of quality.

Verdana actually confuses me greatly. It's part of Microsoft Web fonts program. I just can't work out where they store the TTF/PFA files for these fonts.

In the MacOS version at least, this is a resource file that stores everything in a resource fork.

It would not be impossible to embed the fondu code in lilypond, but that would definitely be more work, and at this stage in the release cycle, it's probably not a great idea to add a considerably amount of code for a marginal feature that is mostly needed on one platform.

Perhaps, but I see invoking ff or fondu externally as a potential support problem. If we ship early, but have to deal with a lot of questions from confused users, that will waste our time.

I don't see much of a support problem here. In the standalone version, the fondu binary goes inside the application package, and in the fink version, it gets pulled in through a dependency. Am I missing something?

I guess you're right. Linking in programs feels safer, but this is acceptable. I already have fondu in the standalone .dmg. Can you prepare a fondu patch? (you need to make a copy of your source dir first, since CVS is down.)

At the moment, I have

  (define (handle-mac-font name file)
    (open-input-pipe
     (format "./showfond ~a | grep FontName=" file))
       .. todo..
    )

  ..

        ((and bare-file-name (string-match "\\.dfont" bare-file-name))
         (handle-mac-font name bare-file-name))

        ((and bare-file-name (= (stat:size (stat bare-file-name)) 0))
         (handle-mac-font name bare-file-name))

handle-mac-font should

 - make temp directory
 - run fondu to extract the files
 - determine which file should be loaded for the given font name
 - decide whether to do ttf->pfa or pfb->pfa
 - cleanup the temp dir