Re: MacOS X standalone lilypond app revisited

From: Ed Baskerville
Subject: Re: MacOS X standalone lilypond app revisited
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 22:52:42 -0400

I'm late to this thread (as usual)... (I'm in the middle of a little piano trio tour around New England, so writing code is getting pushed to the side.)

I guess I should have mentioned earlier that I've been continuing some work in this vein. Since it sounds like this OS X-native stuff is going to become part of LilyPond proper, I'm interested in feedback on whether I should abandon my attempt at a shareware app and try to get some of my work into LP itself.

I have some code that runs LilyPond source from a text field through LilyPond and displays it using PDFKit (or a custom subclass of NSImageView if you're on Panther). I was next going to implement the textedit:// links handling...which I guess Matthias has done.

It's not in a distributable form right now, but I can try to have something by the end of the week that you all can take a look at.

My approach to this is a little different from the existing stuff, in that I try to run LilyPond in the background as the user types (after a 2-second delay), using temporary files. That way, to see your output you don't have to explicitly say "Engrave"--instead, it just shows up, as quickly as it can. For final output files, there will be an explicit command/button/etc.

I also have a little QuickTime music player in the same preview window for playing MIDI files.

All this done in Objective-C. Note that there's no reason that convert-ly, etc. couldn't be run from inside Objective-C using NSTask, and that was certainly a feature I planned to include.

What do you all think? Shall I continue this independently, or are you interested in getting it integrated into the mainline free, open source Lily code?

--Ed