Re: documentation translation

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: documentation translation
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 23:59:07 +0100

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Ok.  If it helps the translators, we can include your patch after we
> release 2.10.

A proper build and maintenance infrastructure for translated docs would
certainly help the translators, but it would help users and developers
much more.

In fact, the translators already translated the tutorial around 2.7.25,
and we could build the html docs by replacing the original
tutorial.itely with the translation, then extracting by hand the
relevant files. This method is quite ugly, but we've tried it once and
you can see the result on http://john.mandereau.free.fr

I hate such a method because it is not integrated with the mainstream
docs, cumbersome to do, hard to maintain and done behind your back; so
it's important to integrate documentation translations soon.

> Yes, I agree.  This, and the png snippet problem, will be things that
> we can work out when the translation code is in place.

Agreed. I am not clever and experienced enough to figure out how all the
makefiles exactly work in detail in a reasonable amount of time :-P

> > Regarding translation maintaining, as the current maintainer of
> > lilypond.org French translation, I'm happy with check-translation, so we
> > could use almost the same script to maintain the user manual
> > translation. But to avoid to maintain already translated stuff while
> > doing the main translation work, and possibly to make translation
> > available for 2.10 before the next stable release, I think it's better
> > we stick with 2.10, and update to the development branch only when
> > everything is translated.
>
> Sounds fine.  I'm sure you will keep an eye on development, to see if
> you're not translating old stuff.  I'm looking forward to your patch.

Sure.

Thank you for the hints
John Mandereau <address@hidden>