Re: urgent: layout of first page

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: urgent: layout of first page
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:44:02 +0100 (CET)

> > Independently of this, I think it is another error that
> > `head-separation' and `page-top-space' are applied on the first page
> > if a title is present.
>
> You'd rather have to modify the function that computes the first system
> position on page: `first-line-position' in the file
> scm/layout-page-layout.scm
>
> ;; not tested
> (define (first-line-position line layout)
>   "Position of the first line on page"
>   (max (+ (if (ly:prob-property? line 'is-title)
>               0.0 ; do not use page-top-space when the 1st line is a title
>               (ly:output-def-lookup layout 'page-top-space))
>         (interval-end (paper-system-staff-extents line)))
>        (interval-end (paper-system-extent line Y))))

Han-Wen, shall I apply this to the git repository?

Regarding head-separation I wonder whether the current approach of
lilypond to handle headers and footers is the right one.  Wouldn't it
be better to define a zone of a given height within the header (or
footer) is rendered, instead of defining a distance from the header to
the score?

  current with header:                current without header:

        header line                              ^
             ^                                   |
             |                                   | head-separation
             | head-separation                   |
             v                                 score
           score

  suggested with header:              suggested without header:

     ^  header line                      ^
     v                                   v
  score                                score

Currently, if a header line is missing, the whole text jumps up.

    Werner