Re: deleting invisible files in git

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: deleting invisible files in git
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:45:51 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Graham Percival wrote:

> input/lsr/spacing/
> contains some .ly files with capitalized first letters.  (Page-*,
> Proportional-* )
>
> Those were added by mistake; I've since added similar files with lowercase
> first letters (page-*, proportional-*).  However, I can't see the Upper Case
> .ly files in my git directory.

I have the slight suspicion that you have a case challenged file system
(happened to me on MacOSX, too). Just try "ls" with the Upper Case name
(even if it displays the names with lower case when you say "ls" without
filenames).

> Evidently git is intelligent enough to realize that the Capitalized
> files are duplicates of the lower-case

I don't think so. I guess it is accessing the same file under both
spellings.

> (does it handle symlinks?)

Yes!

> but now I can't get rid of them.

Okay, this is a little obscure, but can easily be done:

        git rm --cached <filename>

(This _needs_ Git 1.5.0). You need to say "--cached" so it does not
actually remove the file in the working directory (since you can access it
using the other spelling).

Then, just check with `git status` that all is well, and if it is, just
say `git commit`. This will remove the unwanted files from the revision.

Hth,
Dscho