deleting invisible files in git

From: Graham Percival
Subject: deleting invisible files in git
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:06:52 -0800

input/lsr/spacing/
contains some .ly files with capitalized first letters. (Page-*, Proportional-* )

Those were added by mistake; I've since added similar files with lowercase first letters (page-*, proportional-*). However, I can't see the Upper Case .ly files in my git directory. I've tried git reset --hard; still doesn't work. Evidently git is intelligent enough to realize that the Capitalized files are duplicates of the lower-case (does it handle symlinks?), but now I can't get rid of them.