Re: deleting invisible files in git

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: deleting invisible files in git
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:16:19 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

> In message <address@hidden>, Graham Percival <address@hidden>
> writes
> >  Evidently git is intelligent enough to realize that the Capitalized files
> > are duplicates of the lower-case (does it handle symlinks?), but now I
> > can't get rid of them.
> >
> No - afaik git does NOT handle symlinks.

Git handles symlinks just fine.

> If I've got it right, duplicate files are impossible in git. Don't
> forget - Linus thinks in linux mode and is used to writing file
> systems...

Depends on what you mean by duplicate. Git is very strict in that it does
not modify/reencode/munge filenames at all. And it expects the same
courtesy of the filesystem.

In Graham's case, this assumption was wrong.

Git had two different versions of the filename (although with the same
content), but the filesystem interpreted the filenames as identical. Hence
the screwup.

Ciao,
Dscho