Re: Does anybody use x11-color ?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Does anybody use x11-color ?
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 04:38:06 -0800

Till Rettig wrote:
Graham Percival schrieb:

Please add a snippet to LSR.
Sorry, one of us doesn't probably understand right. I thought about enhancing the table that is in the docs.

Yes. The new preferred way to get new material in the docs is to start off with a snippet in LSR. Once that's been approved, we can link to this in the Snippets section. From there, we might include the lilypond code directly.

This is a new way of doing things; LSR has only really been ready for this for a week or two.

Please have a look at the lilypond example I created using direct post script commands. It is an ugly hack, I suppose, but might illustrate what I am after. If you now think it is for LSR I will gladly add it there. This example is only a draft, so I will make it better looking and complete the other colours.

I would like a proper lilypond file (no postscript). That doesn't have to involve notes, of course.

colorText = {...}
\markup{
\colorText #'"red" red
\colorText #'"blue" blue
\colorText #'"green" green
}

... we can use \override inside \markup, right? And custom variables? Or maybe they need extra spaces? anyway, you can figure that out yourself.

I suppose the \markup should have some columns or lines or whatnot.

I prefer to have as much as possible in .ly snippets as possible; they're easier to maintain, easier for users to look at how things are done, etc. There's probably not much demand for seeing snippets like this in LSR... but then again, there's certainly no harm! And if a user _does_ search for "color" in LSR, wouldn't it be nice if they could see this exact snippet?

Please tag this as "editorial" and "docs". If it's confusing, you could just leave the tagging up to Valentin.