Re: Table of contents broken?

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Table of contents broken?
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 00:52:32 +1100

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 22:23:00 Nicolas Sceaux wrote:
> Le 9 déc. 07 à 12:13, Nicolas Sceaux a écrit :

> >> There's a regression indeed. It seems that it was OK in 2.11.35,
> >> but not
> >> anymore in 2.11.36.
> >
> > The culprit is
> >
> > <http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=a0c6b9
> >7af8366c381263772aea1dfe1434a36c2c
>
> Joe, may I restore the previous definition on the function?
> Do you remember the rationale for this change?

I remember the rationale, but it's too late right now for me to find a proper
fix. The problem is with spacing single-staff systems. Suppose you have two
systems, the first has staff-extent '(-2.0 . -2.0) and the second has
staff-extent '(-5.0 . -5.0). Then the original function would put too much
space between the lines because of the inner "(max 0 ...)". Also, there is a
problem in that line-minimum-distance uses the extents while
line-ideal-distance uses the staff-extents, but these aren't directly
comparable.

You're welcome to revert it; that will only cause some uneven spacing in a few
situations and I'll have another look at fixing it later. Or if you want to
figure out the correct solution, you're welcome to do that too :) It
shouldn't need any special casing, it's just a matter of getting the
arithmetic right.

Joe