Table of contents broken?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Table of contents broken?
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 23:41:29 +0100

I'm trying to use \table-of-contents in a large mass (a full score with 17
instruments/voices and 7 pieces). Now, I have several problems:

-) All items added with \tocItem appear in the same line (i.e. printed one
above the other)

-) How do I make the TOC not appear at the very bottom of the page (I'm using
\pageBreak immediately after \table-of-contents)?

-) Is there a possibility to automatically add the piece name for each score
to the TOC? I don't really want to add explicit \tocItem commands to all the
17*7=119 music definitions... In particular, since then each piece will show
up multiple times in the TOC in the full score.
Adding them simply at top-level is no solution, because all definitions are in
separate files, which are included in each of the files for the instrument
and full score...

I tried overriding the scoreTitleMarkup like
\paper {
  scoreTitleMarkup = \markup { \column {
    \fill-line {
      \fontsize #3 \bold \fromproperty #'header:piece
      \tocItem \markup { \fromproperty #'header:piece }
      \fromproperty #'header:opus
    }}}
}
but this gives an error...
toc_problems.ly:15:6: Fehler: syntax error, unexpected MUSIC_FUNCTION
      \tocItem \markup { \fromproperty #'header:piece }
toc_problems.ly:16:6: Fehler: Ungültige Fluchtsequenz: »\fromproperty«
      \fromproperty #'header:opus

Also, putting the \tocItem right before the \score{ \IKyrieScoreFl } in the
main files for each instrument (which apparently works) is no solution, as I
have 22 such files (so I would have to manually add 22*7 tocItems, plus I
have to manually type the piece names each time, so futher changes in the
piece names will be very cumbersome...

-) The "Title of contents" header is hardcoded, so every non-english speaker
will have to override the tocTitleMarkup command. Wouldn't it be better to
define the string via \header { tocTitle = "Table of contents" } and use this
string in the tocTitleMarkup?

Attached is an example displaying these problems..

Cheers,
Reinhold