Re: partcombine, but including rests from quiet voices?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: partcombine, but including rests from quiet voices?
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 04:14:17 +0100

Am Wednesday, 12. December 2007 schrieb Reinhold Kainhofer:
> Am Tuesday, 11. December 2007 schrieb Trevor Daniels:
> > I thought my suggestion might be too much manual
> > effort, but it's the best I have to offer.  If
> > \partcombine worked the way you want that would be
> > the obvious solution, but it doesn't.
>
> Yes, apparently, the issue that bites me is that partcombine detects even a
> single note played by only one instrument as a "solo". So partcombine will
> (almost) never print out a rest in parallel with a note in the other
> instrument. In real scores, there is a de-facto threshold before a rest in
> one instrument is regarded as a solo in the other instrument. If
> partcombine allowed such a (ideally user-settable) threshold property, it
> would fit my needs just fine....

I now made a file with some test cases for the part combination with comments
in the .ly file (Attached). One can
clearly see several bugs..

> > As Mats said,
> > we know \partcombine is lacking but I'm not aware of
> > any development effort going into it at present.
>
> I would actually work on it to fix my problems.

Actually, after enabling the debug output, the structure of the
determine-split-list function in scm/part-combiner.scm is quite clear (the
result is a simple list of ( moment . state ) pairs...).

On the other hand, I found the following patch on the mailing list:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2005-07/msg00046.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2005-07/msg00050.html

I haven't looked closely at the patch, but judging from the description, it
does exactly what I had planned to do in determine-split-list. Does anyone
know why these patches never got applied? Are there any problems with them?
Or was there simply not enough interest?

I also read in some messages that the current implementation of the
partcombiner is a hack and should be replaced by a version that uses
streams... What's all this about? Are there still plans to significantly
rewrite the partcombiner? If so, I won't touch it and invest time in code,
which will later be replaced anyway.

Cheers,
Reinhold