Re: partcombine, but including rests from quiet voices?

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: partcombine, but including rests from quiet voices?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:04:10 +0100

On Dec 17, 2007 6:10 PM, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2007/12/17, Erik Sandberg <address@hidden>:
> > On Dec 17, 2007 4:26 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > Erik, is there a way to listen to that information wrt timing (measure
> > > boundaries, etc.)?
> >
> > IIRC, the measure calculation magic is done by Timing_translator,
>
> yep.
>
> > which is on the translator part of the back-end. I'm not sure though,
> > I don't have access to the source code right now. But if my memory is
> > correct, it may be possible to extract measure boundaries by
> > connecting a Timing_translator to the back-end while dumping the music
> > stream.
>
> So does every property write (which is what Timing_translator does)
> trigger a stream_event?

That depends on whether the property is set directly (by set_property)
or if it's set by sending a property setting event.

I remember that I have contemplated over this problem, but I don't
remember my conclusions clearly. It might be a good idea to make
Timing_translator configurable, to either write properties directly or
indirectly. It isn't really clean to let a part of the back-end
generate events to the stream, but on the other hand you can sometimes
view the translator as a part of the front-end (like when using
partcombiner).

Erik